Recent Tweets

7 Mar 2013

I only noticed her braces ....you?



This post was sparked by a recent ultra-brief conversation about PASSION.  Not the hot, steamy kinks and hijinx of sex  (although it could be about that), but in the context of  just being a passionate individual.  I hear the word "passion" tritely bandied about so often that it caused me to wonder how people see true passion.  I get the impression that it is just an attempt at a quasi-intellectual way to express "what we really dig".   

Since I always need some history, my fingers assailed the keyboard and  I began with the dictionary term.  Coming originally from the Latin, passio: to bear, endure, suffer,  it seems the meaning of passion has morphed into more of an emotion that is inseparable from an activity that really supercharges us.  With this backgrounder, I suspect that the term "passion" is often unwittingly substituted for the activity that is associated with tremendous drive, zeal, fervor - that locomotive-like energy that propels us toward a particular destination or goal.  

I was intriqued, so a natural progression was to ask how passion is connected to happiness and why an effusive and unconcealed "joie de vive" is frequently not projected by those who claim "I am a really passionate person".

In my hunt for more info on passion, I discovered not only the incredible picture at the top of this post, but explored some thought-provoking sites that ruminate on the subject of passion, inner peace and happiness - I was lost for several hours! I recommend the following sites as starting points:

http://emergentbydesign.com/2012/02/24/when-passion-isnt-enough/#comment-61447

http://philosophyforchange.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/when-too-much-passion-is-not-enough/

To finish, I found a quote - the take-home message that made me GRIN ....

"Happiness comes from the intersection of what you love, what you're good at, and what the world needs. We've been told time and again to keep finding the first. Our schools helped developed the second. It's time we put more thought on the third."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That girl is on fire! Your blog and the sites you posted made me think of our GOAL topic in our class. My students wrote their desired jobs in Canada as their long-term goals (ltg's) and their survival jobs as their short-term goals (stg's). Some of their ltg's reflect their passion in life, quite different from their previous jobs in their countries. It's true that in some countries graduates apply to jobs that are more socially respected thus hold higher status. Coming to Canada presents an opportunity to follow their passion which fuels hope and perseverance. But of course at times passion doesn't conform with a person's reality and that can lead to frustration. And so I think realistic planning and patience in order to achieve our true passion is imperative to keep our sanity intact.