Recent Tweets

7 Mar 2013

3240 Journal #1 - before I saw the rubric





 Objective:  

 The purpose of this journal entry is to reflect on Chapters 1-3 of Teaching Naked by Jose Antonio Bowen.  


 Reflective:  

Bowen summed up the future of education for me in two sentences -  the opening sentence in Chapter 1 “The new classroom is a flat screen” (Bowen, pg. 3) and in the closing paragraph of Chapter 3, “If teaching is all about student-faculty interaction, then we must realize that human interaction is changing” (Bowen, pg. 49).

I cringed when I read the first sentence and ruminated on the second one for at least an hour.   

Reading that the new classroom will be a flat screen was out-and-out alarming.  Bowen's prophetical statement that human interaction is not what it used to be and will continue to change had me grinding my teeth.  I will be honest and state that the material in the 48 pages between these bookend remarks did little to provoke a response as compared to these opening and closing comments.


Interpretive:   

 It is now a rare day that I do not see people all around me using electronic media: cell phones, MP3 players/iPods, pagers, checking social media sites, Google, YouTube, Skype and much more.  I even have at least one patient a day at the dental office where I work asking me if it is ok to text while they have their teeth cleaned!   

 (Not recommended, by the way ….).

It never occurred to me that these people may actually be in the process of learning.  I found myself analyzing my opinion about how knowledge should be acquired and how learners should access knowledge.  I mused, “I guess I am just old school.”  My reaction made me realize how much I was resisting alternative methods of learning and especially any kind of learning that illicited the help of electronic media.

Admittedly, I have dipped my toes into the “techcom” world rather grudgingly – my daughter recently encouraged updating my ancient (is 3 years old really ancient?) cell phone to a fancier “smart” phone, but I have not fully accepted or been open-minded to the way that technology is changing the way people communicate or actually learn.  


Not long ago, I stopped to pick up pizza on the way home from work and while waiting I pulled out my cell phone, sent out a few texts, searched an address and looked through a few free apps that I could download into my phone.  A question popped into my mind – before cell phones what would I have done while I was waiting 15-20 minutes for a pizza?  I likely would have sat and simply gazed out the window or straightened out the contents of my handbag and then flipped through a three day old newspaper.  My original value judgement of anyone seen texting was as someone who was “killing time.”  Then I thought about my own recent texts and searches and asked myself “is this a waste of time?”  

Decisional:  

Learning from non-traditional sources should not be viewed as trite.  Rather than resisting the current trend to use media for human interaction and to gain knowledge, I have decided to embrace the idea of using media as a tool for learning, not as toys that kill time.  I realize as I write this that it does not matter what I am texting about or what I am looking up on the Internet – the fact is I am engaged with others and/or I am assimilating new information.  

There could be an endless argument about whether the information anyone reads from any source constitutes “a waste of time,” but it dawned on me that using our time in this way is not the critical piece.  It is enough to know that the information acquired from these sources can be a form of learning and will have an impact in some way, shape or form.  And besides …… it beats just sitting there listening to my stomach growling for a chipotle chicken pizza …….

Reference:
Bowen, J.A. (2012). Teaching naked:  How moving technology out of your college classroom will improve student learning (1st ed.). San Francisco, California: Jossey-Bass

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Loni. Like your blog. A lot of smiling people!

Re the use of technology for learning, I can remember when I first started teaching, six years ago, I would arrive at class and the students waiting outside the door were talking to each other. Now they're all looking down at their phones in silence. Before I started taking this course I found this distressing. Now, I've concluded it's a fact of life, so we should embrace it and use it to our advantage in our classes if we can. If people won't go to the mountain, you have to bring the mountain to them.

It's a good thing. Life without challenges is no life at all.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment, Robert, good points.

Re: "life without challenges is no life at all", I agree, if we didn't have them, how in the world would we grow?

As far as the students looking down at their phones in silence, it's interesting to think that they are still more than likely having a CONVERSATION ....:)
Loni