Recent Tweets

26 Feb 2013

Wow, your teeth are so ......WHITE!


"How do I whiten my teeth?" This is probably the single most common question I get in any given day at work. Regardless of age (in fact the older people get), everyone wants a whiter smile.

Whitening products are widely available and come in the form of mouthrinses, toothpastes and whitening gels. The active ingredient in all of the products is a form of hydrogen peroxide (carbomide peroxide) which breaks down to water and oxygen.  It is the oxygenating activity that whitens the teeth.  Mouthrinses and toothpastes have a low concentration of whitening agents and will help whiten the teeth gradually over time.  Gels and strips are stronger products designed to whiten within a few days to a week depending on the concentration.

Please note that if you have dentures, white composite fillings or porcelain crowns/veneers, whitening products will not change the color of the teeth.  Whitening treatments are effective on enamel only. More information on whitening available at: http://www.dentistry.net/cosmetic-dentistry/cosmetic-teeth-whitening-basics/

3 comments:

Das Bull said...

Hi Loni,
David from 3240 here. I am not going to ask how to whiten my teeth. I'd rather know the health concerns of doing it if there are any. I like your site. Very well done. I wish I had more time to work on mine. Never enough time to to the things you wanna do.

Unknown said...

Hi Das Bull (il toro)
thanks for your comment, there are no health concerns with whitening teeth provided you follow instructions on product packaging. Whitening is done for a set period of time and then discon't. There can be short-term increased sensitivity to teeth and gums, but otherwise safe to use..... :)

Unknown said...

Hi again Loni,
I also wanted to share, VCC has an amazing dental hygiene program, my hygenist actually graduated from there. They also offer reduced dental services at the school for the students to practice...
I wasn't surprised to see that they were on this list:

http://dentalhealth.vch.ca/adult_services.htm